Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Clocks and Me...




I've been tinkering with the anniversary clocks--two of them, both of which chime like clockwork, but mostly not the right number for the hour it happens to be. For example, one chimes twice when it's 10 AM and not at all when it's 10 PM. The other one is just as numerically challenged, although both of them do just fine if it happens to be 12 noon or midnight. It's been that way for years. Suffice it to say, if you want to know what time it is at my house, do NOT count the chiming.

Anyway, as I said, I've been tinkering, not because I intended to do something about the mismatched chimes, but because I had to reset them AGAIN thanks to that Fall Back/Spring Forward nonsense. (No, I don't like Daylight Savings Time. The only time I liked it was when I was 10 and NC didn't participate in the practice, so all the television programs came on an hour early. I got to see all kinds of  programs I'd never seen before and I LIKED it.)

But I digress. I finally got around to resetting the anniversary clocks, only to find one had stopped running altogether. New batteries should have taken care of that, but didn't, so I tinkered. And fiddled. And tinkered. I got the thing running again, but it wasn't chiming. And then it was chiming, and not only was it chiming, it was chiming the right number. And somehow so is the other one, the one I didn't tinker with except to run the hands forward until it was an hour earlier.

Imagine that. Clocks chiming ten when it's ten and two when it's two. It's nice. I like it.

It makes me happy.

Till next time...


No comments: