Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow. Really. And The "Snow Cream" Kind At That.




Well, the Weather Channel, et al., "computer models" were correct this time around. It's been a while since we've had a significant snow -- years -- especially the kind we call a good "snow cream" snow. (The wet, fluffy kind.) (What can I say? Our desserts were always where we found them.)

HOW, you may wonder, does one make snow cream? You put a clean pan of some kind out and let it get snowed in until it's full. Some people would collect theirs from a hopefully safe, uncontaminated place, but we usually "caught" ours. It took longer, but it was more likely to be "critter free" -- if you know what I mean.

When the pan is full, you add sugar, vanilla flavoring, and milk. Stir well and eat. I had many, many glasses and bowls of snow cream when I was a little girl. This was a) when it still snowed on a regular basis around here, and b) before someone in authority realized the snow was likely radioactive from the above ground nuclear testing being done in those days and therefore "not safe." (I don't know why I don't glow in the dark.)

Anyway, this is what it looks like at my house this morning:

































It's too bad I didn't put a pan out last night...

No comments: