Saturday, October 18, 2008

Movie Star Mysteries (More Memory Keeping)

I've been looking through my late sister-in-law's collection of old movie star photographs. Many of them are easily recognizable even though they aren't autographed. Like this one -- the World War II pinup of Betty Grable and her famous "gams." (I've read that this over-the-shoulder pose was a necessity because they didn't want her "baby bump" to show.) And, just in case you're wondering, Betty is not, I repeat -- NOT -- nude. She's wearing a one piece bathing suit. The photograph is very faded.

Most of the pictures are autographed, some generically, some specifically to my sister-in-law. (And what a thrill that must have been even if the "autograph" was done by somebody in the mail room.) She had quite a collection. Besides the Betty Grable, there's one of the actress I was named for -- Cheryl Walker -- and ones of the tragic Carol Landis and Gail Russell. The "Cheryl Walker" was a real find for me because I'd never seen any of her movies and I had no idea what she looked like.


But there are some photos I can't identify. My sister-in-law sometimes wrote notes on the backs -- like how many children they had -- but that doesn't help. So I thought I'd put a few of them in the blog just in case a movie buff wanders through and recognizes them, one who will hopefully tell me who they are.

Here's the first one (I can remember when my mom wore her hair like this):



Does anyone know who this is?

2 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I just saw Carol Landis in a movie last night, the second TOPPER one. I don't remember her at all, but I think it's funny you wrote about her the same day I saw her. :-)

Any news on your proposal?

Cheryl said...

Still in Waiting Heck, Liz...