Saturday, September 8, 2012

Squirrels, At Least 20; Cheryl, 2.



Several weeks ago the squirrels stole all the tomatoes off my tomato plants. And I mean ALL the tomatoes. Who knew squirrels ate tomatoes? I didn't. They even carted off the neighbor's tomatoes, too, while they were at it.

So I gave up on that project -- these are the same squirrels that eat all the pecans off the pecan trees every fall, so I knew what I was dealing with. But look what the tomato plants did without me. TWO tomatoes. (These are heirloom tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes don't do "round.") There are a few more deep in the foliage. I hoping to harvest those, too, if the squirrels don't catch on.

I just wanted you to see them.

Guess who had a home grown tomato sandwich today?

(Two very fresh slices of white bread, two or more slices of peeled, garden fresh tomato, Hellman's or Duke's mayonnaise, black pepper to taste, a pinch of sugar.)

No comments: