Thursday, March 25, 2010

In Memoriam

Dorothy Payne "Dot" Yount, R.N.
1929-2010


Dot taught me just about everything I know about public health nursing. Not the textbook "body politic" things. The "real world" things -- like how to corner a client you know is hiding from you, i.e., the best time to make the home visit and the best bait to use to get them to the door. Because of my somewhat irrepressible and mischievous nature, she used to tell me I just wasn't "Sunbeam" material. At best I was -- and pretty much stayed -- a "Sunbeam Trainee." I'm not exactly sure what a Sunbeam is, but I did try to behave. Really. Well, I did. The main problem was that she was just as mischievous as I was.

She made me laugh. A lot. And she made me smarter than I would have been if our paths had never crossed. I am so lucky that she was a part of my life.

Thanks, Dottie.

No comments: