Sunday, June 27, 2010

Our "Martha Stewart"


Her name was Betty Feezor. She figured prominently in my childhood because almost every woman I knew watched the nearly 6000 episodes of The Betty Feezor Show and because she came on right before AS THE WORLD TURNS -- which made her hour seem very, very, very long to a non-homemaker, soap opera junkie such as my Then Young Self.

Like Martha, she cooked, she sewed, she "crafted." She knew EVERYTHING about homemaking -- even I recognized that. I never saw her bake her own potting soil in the oven the way Martha once did, but still.

So the dh bought me a copy of one of Betty's cookbooks at a flea market the other day, hence my "harking back" to a much simpler time, hence this post. (I think I've said that I like to read cookbooks. Actually cooking from one of them, not so much.)

I just thought I'd tell you about her because she was an "ideal," an accomplished Southern lady of great faith in the truest sense, one who "walked the walk" and left the world a better place. She died of cancer in 1978.

You can see a video of one of her shows on YouTube (very few survive regardless of her large body of work) by clicking on The Betty Feezor Show link above.

And here's one of the recipes from her cookbook:

CAKE MIX DROP COOKIES

1 package cake mix, any flavor

1 egg

2 tablespoons water


Mix with a fork and with the hands because it's a very stiff dough. Place small balls of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Temperature: 375 degrees, 8 minutes.


Yield: 4 dozen cookies


Rolled Cookies are made the same with 3 tablespoons water instead of 2.

For variation add any of the following:

Peanut butter, Nuts, Coconut, Dates





That's it for this time...

No comments: