Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Health, Hillary, and Henry


A little daily Emile Coué -- along with seven injections of Rocephin -- and things are looking up health-wise. I actually felt well enough yesterday to tackle another celebrity visit. Oh, yes. Back to the depot, this time to see Hillary Clinton. I decided if it proved too much of an undertaking, I could always leave, so off the dh and I went, camera and umbrella in hand, first to find a reasonably close parking spot, then to brave the metal detectors and pocket emptying, and then finally to the depot. One more time.


Because of the rainy forecast, Mrs. Clinton's event was set up under the outside awning rather than in the open garden, and there was a sizable crowd given the fact that it had been raining on and off for a day or so and the forecast was for more of the same, especially around the time of her visit -- which turned out to be accurate. The bottom fell out shortly after her speech ended.

Photographing history was again a challenge. My friend, Deena the Poet, wasn't there, and I never was able to get a picture without a navy blue ball cap at the bottom edge. I'm sure it was being worn by a nice man, but he was seriously in the way. This was the best I could do.

All in all, I found Mrs. Clinton to be punctual, articulate and informed, concise and specific. And funny. I'm glad I went.



Which brings us to "Henry."

Henry works at Saving Grace Farm

He and a number of others just like him are the "equine" part of the equine assisted activities and therapeutic riding offered at Saving Grace, which by all accounts is a wonderful place.

I first learned about the farm and the work Jill, Janna, and Stacey do there from a former co-worker whose granddaughter has been helped tremendously by participating in one of their special needs programs. I'm blogging about it here on the outside chance that someone who reads this might be looking for a charity or a horse or a child to sponsor, or who might not know about this kind of therapy and find the information helpful (once a public health nurse, always a public health nurse.) So click on the Saving Grace link -- or check out Henry's bio. It's very impressive.

No comments: