Monday, September 2, 2013

Writing (About) Life--The Movies





As someone who has pretty much given up on going to an actual movie theater to see a movie, I really love having Amazon Prime. There is rarely anything at Tinsel Town I want to see (most of the movies are geared toward the 18 to 35 year old male demographic), and if I do go, the sound is too loud--I've literally watched a movie with my fingers in my ears-- and people insist on talking (Huh. Maybe THAT'S why the sound is so loud.) 

Anyway, I used to be a dedicated movie-goer. Started going when I was three just to see my beloved Roy Rogers. (sigh) But these days the aggravation cancels out any joy from the experience. So. Yesterday I cranked up the Prime and I re-watched THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (1975). Faye Dunaway and Robert Redford at their most beautiful. Loved her hair and makeup. His wind-blown look wasn't half bad, either. 

I'd forgotten that the Christmas season was a subtle backdrop. There were no cell phones, of course, just Superman phone booths. Nurses were easily identifiable because they wore white uniforms AND caps, and some of it was filmed inside and around the World Trade Center. (Very sad to see that.) But the movie still held up. Why? Because of the then preposterous plot premise--which I had also forgotten--that some aspect of the US government wanted to invade the Middle East. Robert Redford's character, "Joe Turner," was shocked upon learning this. Me, this time around, not so much.

No comments: