Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Rose Is A Rose...


This is just to show you that I actually do other things besides obsessing about paying the bills. (Read: shamelessly trying to entice everyone on the planet into buying "Cheryl Reavis" and "Cinda Richards" books).

I root roses. Sometimes successfully. This one was rooted from a cutting from a neighbor's rose bush. I started the process last year. (I use the ziplock bag method.) The cutting looked viable by early spring, so it was potted, fed and put outside after the threat of frost. And now it is blooming. Three whole roses. I love the color, and it actually has a whiff of the rose scent. I don't know what kind of rose it is, but I like it.

Now if I could just root a camelia. So far it's Cheryl, 0. The article I read about camelia-rooting said they will root in 3 to 6 months -- or never. I can definitely vouch for the "never" part. I used to work with a nurse who rooted them by placing the cuttings in a sandbox with a Mason jar over them. Alas, no. She rooted them, I rot them. I should probably go read about camelias some more. In the meantime...

That's it for this time.

No comments: