Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Updating (Once Again)...


First of all, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope you get lots and lots of candy. Candy is no longer in my personal food chain, but I don't begrudge your having it. Really. Even if it's Snickers or dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses. Or Truffles. Or Sweet Tarts. Or... (sigh)

Moving right along to family updating...

It's raining here today, a cold steady rain that's supposed to last through tomorrow. The dh is decorating the front porch for the Trick or Treaters. I'm here in the warm and dry with you.

Grandson No. 1 is doing very well with his chest brace. He's able to carry out his JROTC duties for the most part. He really seems to enjoy JROTC. I'm not sure why, but he does, blisters and all, braced or not. Could be the uniform. I understand the girls get all swoon-y and hug-y at the sight of it.

My son has the flu of some kind. He's seen the doctor and he's taking medications. He told me that at one point his abject misery was interrupted by a doorway visit from my granddaughter (who was also under the weather). She wanted to give him a very alarmed report on the video she'd been watching -- "Jack and the Beanstalk." "There was this really BIG giant," she told him. "And he said, 'Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of an English muffin!!!!!"

Which underlines what one of my clinical instructors used to tell us when I was in nursing school. No matter what you say, the person is going to hear it according to his or her own point of reference. It was very helpful advice -- even before I learned about muffins with a circulatory system.

I tried the South Beach Diet for six whole days. It was a terrible experience. Phase One severely restricts carbs, and I was really hungry all the time. ALL the time. The carbs in vegetables apparently aren't "carb-y" enough to keep my blood sugar at a level where I can function. Recommendations for this problem on the various websites were drinking a cup of milk -- which I can't do -- or eating an apple now and again. Apples worked nicely -- for about an hour. Between the hypoglycemic episodes (one near fainting one) and the significant headaches, plus the giant migraine of Day 2, it was hard going. So I bailed. While I could still get around. I'm not proud of it, but there you are. Besides all that, I didn't lose an ounce. I have friends who thrive on this diet, but clearly, The South Beach People are not going to want me as a spokesperson.

That's it for this time. Bulletins as they happen...


No comments: